DoorsReplaced the hollow-core door on Seyoung's office and hung a french door. We picked up the door at the Re-store for about $30 and it took about an hour to hang it. We only had to recut the lower hinge gain on the door to rehang it. It has a few dings and bits that need filling, I picked up some epoxy wood filler and gloss latex paint to match the paint already on it.
I'm thinking of replacing the main bathroom door with a (privacy) glass-paned door to let in more light in the upstairs hallway, too.
The lever handle on the door is also from the Re-store. I bought enough of them to fit all of the doors on the main floor. That was a small project from a couple of weeks ago. I had to recut a few door-jamb mortises for the bolts, and fill in the old screw holes with glue and pegs so I could reposition the latch plates, all done in a few hours.
I've replaced a couple of the basement room door handles with levers, as well. Only one door down there left to do. I'm planning to replace two of the doors to rooms that have large windows with used french doors when I can, so the basement will be a bit less dark in the daytime.
None of the doors in the house have doorstops, so I've been installing various sorts of bumbers and things to save the walls and mouldings.
No toes were injured during any of the various door-related activities.
Replaced the steel basin in the main bathroom with a porcelain sink and a nicer faucet (Re-store rescues again).
The plumbing for the drain is ABS, so I had to cut the drain pipe and move it back a bit. Not a lot of trouble, except for the tailpiece fitting. I bought a slip-joint adapter at Home Cheapo that was not the right size, despite it saying 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" on the fitting. A trip to Kent netted the right sized adapter.
The faucets were made by Global Union and branded as Water Ridge. It turns out that they have some kind of lifetime waranty. The hot water cartridge was bad and the faucet dripped pretty badly, but after a couple of e-mails to Global Union support I had a new cartridge. Gratis! The installation was a bit tricky, as there is no assembly/disassembly guide for the faucets. An hour or so of messing around and finally removing the faucet to put it in a vise and I got it fixed.
The house had not had a light fixture updates in many years. I replaced a number of those ugly glass sheet "semi-flush" ceiling lamps and bare bulb socket with flush-mount dome fixtures. I didn't take any pictures of those, but here's one swiped from the internet.
An alcove in the front porch got a Re-store special.
The garage originally had a bare bulb socket with a switch in the front and one in the back porch. I had the electrician who came to do some work around the house replace the socket with an electrical socket and plugged in two LED shop lamps I got from Costco. 4000 lumens per fixture makes the garage feel like you're standing on the sun.
My toe-crushing incident has left me hobbling around and the doctor said I'll probably be like that for a month or two. Not really too much trouble, but it's painful and uncomfortable. So we were out last weekend and Seyoung bought me some safety boots so I can save my toes any further grief.
That's it for this week. Here's a shot of Poopy scowling down the stairs as I trudge up and down with tools and things.